What are my options if there is no pediatric hospital near where I live?

If you live in a rural area where the best hospital to treat your child is eight miles away, you may have few choices nearby. But now some local hospitals are using telemedicine to consult with pediatric specialists at large city hospitals via phone and video connections. Physicians call a toll-free number and are connected with a specialist in pediatric emergency care within minutes. And many children’s hospitals are opening off-site pediatric emergency rooms in community hospitals, because parents are asking for those specialized services closer to home. Contact the emergency or pediatric department at your local hospital to see if they provide any of these services.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

It's Your Health—Be an Expert
It's Your Health—Be an Expert
A good working partnership with your doctor is key to getting the most appropriate care for your health needs. But the patient-doctor relationship isn...
How do surgical procedures differ between adults and children?
Nicholas F. Fiore, MDNicholas F. Fiore, MD
Kids and adults have different physiologies and body sizes, and react to surgeries differently, says...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?