What is Code HELP or Code H?

Sometimes, a loved one can detect subtle changes in a patient that might be overlooked by a nurse or other caregiver at a hospital.

Code HELP is the emergency response system used by many an increasing number of hospitals across the United States. The system offers an additional layer of patient safety. Both patients and their family members can use it to bring a team of medical professionals to the patient’s room for immediate assistance.

You can normally use the Code HELP or Code H system when a noticeable or serious change in the patient’s medical condition occurs and the healthcare team is not there at the bedside. Patients or family members can usually pick up a phone in a hospital room and dial the provided extension for the Code HELP or Code H assistance.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

4 Signs You Need a Doctor -- or the ER
4 Signs You Need a Doctor -- or the ER
Let’s face it, stuff happens. You take a tumble from a curb and hit your head. The neighbor’s normally friendly cat bites your child. You suddenly fee...
How can I know if I'm getting the medical treatment that is right for me?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Be actively engaged in all treatment decisions. If the doctor offers only one or two treatment optio...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?