What is family-centered medical care?

“Family-centered care basically means partnering with parents and family members to maximize medical care, comfort and good outcomes. Partnering is the key word,” said Tony Tavárez, M.D. “We have to sit down with parents. They’re the ones who know their child.”

Parents, for instance, can serve as translators for younger children who may lack verbal skills to express pain or illness. Creative parents can also offer valuable insights and tips that will help during exams and procedures. For example, when one young child refused to submit to a tongue depressor during a throat exam, the mother ordered the child to “scare the doctor,” Dr. Tavárez recalled. The child roared and stuck out the tongue.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Consider a Family Medicine Doctor For the Whole Family
Can you name the BBC’s whacky sci-fi show that’s been running off and on since 1963? Dr. Who is now a super-series. It focuses on a time-traveling, pe...
How should I choose the best hospital in which to have surgery?
Although choosing a fantastic surgeon is critical, the caliber of the hospital or facility where you...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?