What can I expect if my child is isolated in a hospital?

The purpose of isolation is to keep germs from spreading to other patients, visitors, and hospital staff. It is extremely important that you follow isolation precautions so that your child's infection does not spread.

The nursing staff will place a sign on the door to your child's room, telling people about the necessary precautions. The precautions for hospital staff are stricter than for family members. This is because the staff has contact with many patients and, because of this, it is easier for them to spread germs to other patients.

Keep items that are taken into your child's room (books, toys, extra clothing) with you or your child, so that other patients will not come into contact with the germs. Also, do not share items like reading materials with other hospital visitors or patients.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

ER, Urgent Care or Physician -- Know Where to Go
Whether it’s a bump on the head or a really bad cold, when your body suffers a blow, all you want to do is feel better. But where do you go to get th...
If I am in the hospital, how can I get my care team to wash their hands?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
Speak up. If you don’t see healthcare workers washing their hands or putting on gloves when they ...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient