What can I expect if my child is isolated in a hospital?

The purpose of isolation is to keep germs from spreading to other patients, visitors, and hospital staff. It is extremely important that you follow isolation precautions so that your child's infection does not spread.

The nursing staff will place a sign on the door to your child's room, telling people about the necessary precautions. The precautions for hospital staff are stricter than for family members. This is because the staff has contact with many patients and, because of this, it is easier for them to spread germs to other patients.

Keep items that are taken into your child's room (books, toys, extra clothing) with you or your child, so that other patients will not come into contact with the germs. Also, do not share items like reading materials with other hospital visitors or patients.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Consider a Family Medicine Doctor For the Whole Family
Can you name the BBC’s whacky sci-fi show that’s been running off and on since 1963? Dr. Who is now a super-series. It focuses on a time-traveling, pe...
How should I clean an inhaler spacer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Clean your press-and-breathe inhaler and spacer at least once a week to help keep medication from ...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?