What should I expect from my child after a hospital stay?

After the hospital experience is over, you may find that your child is fussy or ill behaved, has nightmares, cries, throws tantrums, refuses to eat, becomes withdrawn, or even starts sucking his thumb or wetting the bed. This is normal; it’s a reaction to the stress. Highly stressed parents have been known to exhibit similar behaviors. Most kids who are loved and well cared for will get past these issues soon, but tell your pediatrician if these symptoms linger. Hospital social workers and child life specialists can help, too.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat. A food diary ...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?
How Can Health Professionals Coordinate Medical Care?