What can I do if I'm feeling overwhelmed by my chronic health condition?

If you're feeling overwhelmed by your chronic health condition, it's most important that you have regular conversations with your primary care physician to discuss any of your health concerns and actions you can take to maintain or improve your well-being.

You can also review your health benefits for special programs designed to assist and support people with your condition. For example, you may be able to work with a nurse through your health plan who can:

• give you online resources to use anytime
  • review the treatment plan and medications your doctor gave you
  • explain possible side effects and answer your questions
  • work with you over time to help you meet your goals for managing your health condition

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site.  In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

What to Expect in the ER
What to Expect in the ER
As an emergency room doctor, I know that an ER visit can be a scary experience—you don’t feel well, waits can be long and you’re worried about yoursel...
How should I talk about my chronic illness to a prospective employer?
Rosalind JoffeRosalind Joffe
In talking to a prospective employer about your chronic illness, be as public as you need to be ...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?