What should I do when my child is released from the hospital?

If your child is being released, there’s just one little thing you’re waiting on: your discharge paperwork. It will include instructions on how to care for the illness or injury at home; any follow-up treatment that may be necessary from your regular doctor; and a number to call if you have problems or complications. Some Emergency departments (EDs) will send a record of your visit directly to your pediatrician; ask about this.

It is really important that you call your pediatrician when you get home and explain everything that happened. Why is this vital? So your pediatrician can document the ED visit in your child’s medical records and follow up on any concerns or new developments. For example, if your child was treated for a severe allergic reaction, your doctor needs to figure out what caused the problem and how to avoid it in the future.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
When your doctor orders a medical test, chances are you don’t protest. But research shows that a number of screenings are unnecessary—and may even do...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment. Even doctors don’t always look forward to routine phys...
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?
How Can Health Professionals Coordinate Medical Care?