Is it worth traveling a long distance for a specific surgeon?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
It is reasonable to travel a long distance to find the right surgeon. In fact, in my Plastic surgery practice, we have had  patients fly in from over 23 countries to have breast revision and body sculpting surgeries to Beverly Hills, California. This week alone, we have operated on patients from Toronto, Canada, Sydney Australia, and London, England. In certain parts of the country, there may not be specialist for the surgery you desire and therefore traveling may certainly be your safest and best bet.
If your surgery is especially tricky or dangerous, and one of these specialists or hospitals has significantly greater experience in performing it than any surgeon you can find locally, you may consider traveling to have this doctor perform the surgery.

Although some patients have enough savings to do this without hesitation, most don't have such deep pockets. Make no mistake, finding the absolute best surgeon (and leaving your insurance network to do so) can rack up bills that look like Bill Gates' bank statement.

But whether you're rich or not, always do this research so you at least know your options. What's worth your money (or future debt), only you can say. In the long run, getting the best care is often less expensive than paying to correct the mistakes of less-than-perfect care. When it comes down to it, you might decide that having the absolute best brain surgeon is worth cashing in some of your retirement savings because retirement might be a lot less fun after undergoing sub-par brain surgery.

YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Meet Dr. Darria
Meet Dr. Darria
Name: Darria Long Gillespie, MD, MBA Specialty: Emergency Medicine Hospital: Emory University Favorite app: AskMD (of course!) When did you know y...
How should I go about finding the best hospital?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
In addition to asking your physician’s opinion and assuring that you have chosen a hospital that acc...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?