Will I have to see a primary care provider for referrals to specialists?

Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy Specialist
Most health plans will require a referral from a primary care specialist before seeing another specialist such as a cardiologist or neurologist. However, some plans do not require a referral. It is best to check with your health plan before seeing another specialist to see if a referral is required. If one is required and you do not have one, you could end up paying the entire bill.
You will have to see a primary care provider for referrals to specialists if your insurance plan requires this. Many insurance plans require a primary care provider to refer a patient to a specialist, or the patient will have to pay more out of pocket. This helps reduce the cost of healthcare, and makes sure patients are sent to the correct specialists for their specific needs.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Meet Dr. Darria
Meet Dr. Darria
Name: Darria Long Gillespie, MD, MBA Specialty: Emergency Medicine Hospital: Emory University Favorite app: AskMD (of course!) When did you know y...
What should I do when I'm diagnosed with a chronic disease?
If you are suddenly diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, arthritis or some other age-accelerating...
Know Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Know Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Get tips for what credentials and licensing you should look for in mental health professionals – plus, learns questions you should ask before your vis...
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?