In the hospital, how can I protect my child from MRSA?

It’s fairly easy to prevent MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a much hardier variation of the common “staph” bacterium), and other bugs too, from attacking your child. The first step is the obvious one: religious hand washing. Second, and just as important, is making certain that medical equipment isn’t contaminated. Any piece of equipment that touches your child (such as a stethoscope) should be wiped with alcohol before use, unless the staffer just took it out of a sterile container.

One big tip: If your child needs an IV, make sure it is inserted and removed under clean conditions, ideally, in a sterile treatment room by a gloved nurse. The skin should be cleaned with alcohol and/or Betadine solution before the IV is insterted, and the IV should be changed at least every three to four days.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
Cleanliness and neatness can help protect your child from MRSA:
  • Wash your hands often using soap and warm water for 15 seconds -- especially after you touch anything. Use alcohol-based hand gel or foam if you can’t get to a sink.
  • Say something if the healthcare team or visitors don’t wash their hands in front of you. Gentle reminders are good. If someone gives you trouble or makes you feel uncomfortable after you say something, you could mention it to a nurse manager or other leader to get some help in improving the practice of the unit. Everyone should wash their hands, and reminders are good for the safety of all patients.
  • Ensure that the hospital room is clean and that garbage is removed regularly.
  • Ask your nurses and other clinicians to wipe down equipment they might use on your child. Stethoscopes can be particularly strong germ carriers. 

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Why You Should Always Seek Second Opinions
Stand-up legend Rodney Dangerfield became famous for his quips about how he got no respect from anyone. “My psychiatrist told me I’m going crazy,” wen...
Why is it important that my child have surgery in a children's hospital?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
It is important that your child have surgery in a children’s hospital because children should be car...
Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat.
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?