If I am in the hospital, how can I get my care team to wash their hands?

1. Speak up. If you don’t see healthcare workers washing their hands or putting on gloves when they enter the room, it’s good to give them a gentle reminder. If someone on your care team is particularly dismissive when you raise concerns, you may want to mention it to a nurse manager or other clinical leader, as it is not only a safety issue for your care, but for other patients as well.
  2. Model good hand hygiene if you are able to do so:
  • Many hospitals now have antibacterial gels and foams outside hospital rooms, near elevators, in the cafeteria, and elsewhere. Use them and model the behavior so others who might be visiting you in the hospital get a visual reminder to wash their hands.
  • Have a bottle of antibacterial gel near your bed if it is safe for it to be there for your own use.
  • If you have been up and walking around and it is safe for you to do so, wash your hands in the sink when you get back to your room. Use soap and warm water.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Tips for Navigating the ER
6 Tips for Navigating the ER
Whether you’ve been in an accident, gotten injured at the gym or simply have a pain you can’t explain, you never know when you’ll end up in the emerge...
Why keep visitors to a minimum when I'm in the hospital?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
I absolutely agree with Dr. Oz's response, but would like to add another perhaps less threatening re...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?