If I am in the hospital, how can I get my care team to wash their hands?

1. Speak up. If you don’t see healthcare workers washing their hands or putting on gloves when they enter the room, it’s good to give them a gentle reminder. If someone on your care team is particularly dismissive when you raise concerns, you may want to mention it to a nurse manager or other clinical leader, as it is not only a safety issue for your care, but for other patients as well.
  2. Model good hand hygiene if you are able to do so:
  • Many hospitals now have antibacterial gels and foams outside hospital rooms, near elevators, in the cafeteria, and elsewhere. Use them and model the behavior so others who might be visiting you in the hospital get a visual reminder to wash their hands.
  • Have a bottle of antibacterial gel near your bed if it is safe for it to be there for your own use.
  • If you have been up and walking around and it is safe for you to do so, wash your hands in the sink when you get back to your room. Use soap and warm water.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

ER, Urgent Care or Physician -- Know Where to Go
Whether it’s a bump on the head or a really bad cold, when your body suffers a blow, all you want to do is feel better. But where do you go to get th...
Who should wear a medical alert bracelet?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Medical alert bracelets or necklaces should be worn by any adult who has chronic medical conditions,...
Know Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Know Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Get tips for what credentials and licensing you should look for in mental health professionals – plus, learns questions you should ask before your vis...
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient