If my child is in the hospital, how can I get staffers to wash their hands?

I see many wise patients post large, marker-drawn signs on their room door and near their bed that read, “Have you washed your hands?” and “Have you washed your stethoscope?” Many people also bring in a huge jug of alcohol-based sanitizing gel from a drugstore or warehouse wholesale store and place it next to the hospital bed, with a label reading, “Please Use Me!” These are easy ways of reminding doctors, nurses, and other hospital personnel about their obligation, and it will break the ice during those moments when you may feel a little awkward about ordering a brusque offender to scrub up. One glance at your signage will let all people know you’re highly sensitive, and perhaps appropriately neurotic, about hand washing, so they will have no right to bristle if they ignore the signs and force you to verbally ask them to wash.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Tips for Navigating the ER
6 Tips for Navigating the ER
Whether you’ve been in an accident, gotten injured at the gym or simply have a pain you can’t explain, you never know when you’ll end up in the emerge...
How should I clean an inhaler spacer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Clean your press-and-breathe inhaler and spacer at least once a week to help keep medication from ...
Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat.
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?