How should I choose a patient advocate?

It is important that the person you choose to be your advocate is ready for the job. Ideally, this is someone with a healthcare background or who has experience either as a hospitalized patient or with a loved one’s hospitalization. Just because someone is concerned for you does not mean that he/she can play this assertive role in your care. The National Patient Safety Foundation recommends taking into consideration the following criteria when choosing an advocate:
  • Your advocate should be assertive
  • Your advocate should communicate well -- in languages appropriate for your community
  • Your advocate should be willing to do the job
  • Your advocate should be someone you are comfortable sharing intimate details with, who will know how and when to share them -- and with whom
  • Your advocate should be someone who is good at asking questions and digging deeper if necessary
  • Your advocate should be organized, as there are lots of papers and forms to keep track of while supporting someone in the hospital

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Emergency Room Secrets
6 Emergency Room Secrets
No one looks forward to a trip to the ER. And as an ER doctor, there’s nothing better than making a patient’s diagnosis and seeing her feel better aft...
What's it like to be diagnosed with a chronic illness?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Being diagnosed with a chronic illness is a wild ride. People will have good days and tough days, an...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?