How can I shorten my child's hospital stay?

Your first mission? Ask if your child can be an outpatient. Happily, pediatric medicine has evolved to the point where same-day surgery is now common for many procedures that used to require a night or five in the hospital. These include tonsillectomies, ear-tube surgery (myringotomy), and hernia repairs. In addition to better surgical techniques, we can thank newer, short-acting anesthesia that allows patients to walk out of the hospital hours after surgery. If your child can be treated and released in the same day and sleep in his own (freshly laundered) bed that night, everyone will be happier.

Every hour any child spends in a hospital increases the risk that something will go wrong. Your child could pick up a nasty infection from a rogue supergerm or get the wrong treatment or drug. While it’s good to know that the vast majority of errors don’t result in serious problems, they can slow healing or cause extra pain or discomfort for your child, and extra stress for you, too. Getting in and out as quickly as possible is the best strategy. Less stress, fewer risks, lower costs, and getting top-notch hospital care on an outpatient basis is almost always a win-win-win.

That said, if your child needs to stay in the hospital overnight or longer, don’t freak. It can be the best place for kids who require hospital-strength care and attention.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Using In-Home Medical Devices Safely
Using In-Home Medical Devices Safely
In Young Frankenstein (1974) Gene Wilder plays a neuroscientist who inherits a castle complete with a typical mad scientist’s laboratory, filled with ...
What should I keep in mind when choosing a hospital?
Dr. David A. Greuner, MDDr. David A. Greuner, MD
When choosing a hospital, especially for cardiac and bariatric procedures, you should choose a cente...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?