How can I prevent problems during shift changes when I'm in the hospital?

Typically, a lot is happening during shift changes that can make them dangerous. Some ways you as a patient can help minimize problems include:
  • Do not interrupt your clinicians if the shift change is happening at your bedside. If their process is designed well, the team will ask you if you have questions at the best point during the shift change. If not—be sure to tell them upfront you have questions so they can address them at a time during shift change when it will work well.
  • Encourage a family member or loved one to be with you during shift change so they can listen and ask questions for you if you are unable.
  • If a shift change takes place at the bedside, it is a good opportunity for you or your family member to ask questions, to hear what is next in your care, and to find out when you might expect to get medicines or be moved for a procedure. Knowing this information can help you and your family members know what to expect at every point of the care process. It can also allow you to speak up if you feel the health team is not meeting certain goals outlined during a shift change.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

How to Find Dr. Right
How to Find Dr. Right
One of the most important decisions you will ever make—and you'll probably make it more than once—is choosing the right doctor. YOU: The Smart Patien...
How do I evaluate when to have treatment?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Surgery does not happen in a vacuum. There are many personal issues as well as medical ones that det...
Why should one doctor be in charge of your hospital stay?
To shorten your hospital stay (and make it safer), you want one doctor to be the head coach who call...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...