How can I know if I'm getting the medical treatment that is right for me?

Be actively engaged in all treatment decisions. If the doctor offers only one or two treatment options, ask for the entire range, from conservative to aggressive. Discuss the pros and cons of each, including recovery times, side effects and long-term prospects. Patients and doctors should agree on all aspects of the treatment plan before proceeding.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

ER, Urgent Care or Physician -- Know Where to Go
Whether it’s a bump on the head or a really bad cold, when your body suffers a blow, all you want to do is feel better. But where do you go to get th...
What should I know before my child leaves the hospital?
Before you leave the hospital, the doctor should explain what normal healing and recovery will look ...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?