How should a hospital ensure the security of pediatric patients?

One baby abducted from the nursery is one too many. (A custody battle increases the need to make sure your child is safe.) My hospital uses an electronic monitor bracelet system called HUGS. If an infant is moved anywhere outside the designated newborn area, a loud buzzer sounds and the doors lock. This can be very disconcerting, but in a good way. Most hospitals use similar monitoring devices in their nurseries, but not all hospitals use these on their general pediatric floor. Make sure to ask what abduction-prevention system your hospital uses on the pediatric floor.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

5 Ways to Pay Less for Medications
5 Ways to Pay Less for Medications
For many Americans, controlling healthcare costs is continually top of mind. But, health experts warn that you should never skip doses of prescription...
Can I stay overnight with my hospitalized child?
Most parents want to spend the night in the hospital with their young child. This is often best for ...
Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?