How should a hospital ensure the security of pediatric patients?

One baby abducted from the nursery is one too many. (A custody battle increases the need to make sure your child is safe.) My hospital uses an electronic monitor bracelet system called HUGS. If an infant is moved anywhere outside the designated newborn area, a loud buzzer sounds and the doors lock. This can be very disconcerting, but in a good way. Most hospitals use similar monitoring devices in their nurseries, but not all hospitals use these on their general pediatric floor. Make sure to ask what abduction-prevention system your hospital uses on the pediatric floor.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Meet Dr. Darria
Meet Dr. Darria
Name: Darria Long Gillespie, MD, MBA Specialty: Emergency Medicine Hospital: Emory University Favorite app: AskMD (of course!) When did you know y...
Why call my doctor if I'm going to the emergency room?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
As Dr. Oz mentioned in his answer, it does help--when you or your loved one have time---to communica...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?