How do I know if I have time to get a second opinion?

Ask the question directly: “Is there urgency? What would be the consequences of my exploring this option for a few hours? A few days? A few weeks?

In general, if symptoms are stable, there is usually time to consider the various choices.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Emergency Room Secrets
6 Emergency Room Secrets
No one looks forward to a trip to the ER. And as an ER doctor, there’s nothing better than making a patient’s diagnosis and seeing her feel better aft...
What can I do to improve my hospital stay?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Watch this video to learn tips on how you can improve your hospital stay from Dr. Oz.
Know Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Know Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Get tips for what credentials and licensing you should look for in mental health professionals – plus, learns questions you should ask before your vis...
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?