How can I make sure I get proper care in the hospital?

In the hospital, patients' charts can get mixed up, so talk to everyone who brings you a pill or comes to perform a test or procedure and be sure they know who you are. That means staying alert and asking the right questions; learn to recognize the medicines you are supposed to receive and make sure that the person dispensing the medication checks your plastic wristband to confirm that each dose of medication is for you.

You should ask about the purpose, risks, and possible discomfort of any test or procedure that is prescribed. Be clear about your needs. For example, if you have hard-to-find veins, alert the staff that you need an especially skilled person to draw your blood. If you need help getting onto the examining table, it is better to notify hospital staff in advance than to find out at the last minute that the nurse is pregnant and unable to help you.
Multiple Sclerosis (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

This completely revised second edition of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier contains tips, techniques, and shortcuts to help MS patients organize and simplify their lives. With over...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Emergency Room Secrets
6 Emergency Room Secrets
No one looks forward to a trip to the ER. And as an ER doctor, there’s nothing better than making a patient’s diagnosis and seeing her feel better aft...
Why should I closely monitor my health?
Keeping a clean bill of health helps us stay young, and detecting and managing new conditions in the...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?