How can I evaluate new treatment options?

Sometimes the old, reliable standard still works just fine. If a lot of data and experience show a very high chance that you’ll get the outcome you want, with little risk, why try something in its place? When evaluating a new treatment, ask the following questions:
  • Is there a standard treatment that reliably produces the outcome I want?
  • Will I have enough information to be reasonably sure about the results of the new treatment, or am I part of an experiment?
  • How much experience does my doctor have with the new treatment?

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

What ER Docs Want You to Know
What ER Docs Want You to Know
No one wants to end up in the emergency room. But, sometimes, accidents happen. These tips from emergency room doctor Jonathon Pangia, DO, from Grand...
What should I know when picking a hospital for surgery?
Practice makes perfect, and perfect is exactly what you want when you're having surgery, right? Tha...
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?