How do I find free dental clinics?

There are clinics that offer free or very low-cost dental care. Contact your local or state health department to get a list. The United Way may also be able to suggest clinics that offer dental services for free. Dental schools and dental hygiene schools, where experienced professionals closely supervise the students, can be excellent sources of high-quality, low-cost dental treatment.

The Bureau of Primary Health Care, Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Programs) are government programs that may offer free dental care in your area. Call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for information about other programs that offer free or low-cost dental care.

When looking for free dental care, try contacting your local or state dental society to see if there are any free dental clinics in your area or any upcoming treatment programs such as Missions of Mercy (MOM) or Remote Area Medical (RAM) events. Another option for lower-cost dental care is dental school clinic. Generally, dental costs in school clinics are reduced and may include only partial payment for professional services covering the cost of materials and equipment.

Dental disease is almost entirely preventable and untreated dental disease can lead to serious health problems such as infection, damage to bone or nerve, and tooth loss. Infection from tooth disease can even spread to other parts of the body and in rare cases, can lead to death. You can practice preventive dentistry on yourself by adopting these healthy habits: Always remember to brush your teeth twice a day, floss between teeth.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 tips for navigating the er
6 tips for navigating the er
whether you ’ve been in an accident , gotten injured at the gym , or simply have a pain you can’t explain , you never know when you’ll end up in the e...
what should i know before my child leaves the hospital ?
Before you leave the hospital, the doctor should explain what normal healing and recovery will look ...
how can i protect my child in the hospital ?
If there’s any good news with children being hospitalized, it’s that more studies are revealing what...
how can i shorten my child hospital stay ?
Your first mission? Ask if your child can be an outpatient. Happily, pediatric medicine has evolved ...