How can I distract my child at the hospital while we're waiting?

Assuming the illness or injury isn’t life threatening, try to bring something to keep your child diverted while you’re waiting, such as an mp3 player, handheld video games, crayons and paper, a deck of cards, or a book, favorite blankie, or cuddly toy. But if you left the house in a hurry, you may find yourself inventing some soothing stories or soft songs to comfort your child. If you have nothing -- nada -- ask the kindest-looking Emergency Department (ED) staffer for some unused tongue depressors and cotton balls that can become impromptu toys, or paper and pencil for drawing or tic-tac-toe.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

It’s Never Too Late To Take Control of Your Health
If you’ve ever given up on a New Year’s resolution, said ‘yes’ to junk food (again and again) or whispered to yourself...
What should I bring to the hospital if I am having surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Bring the following to the hospital if you are having surgery:A list of any questions or new concern...
Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?