How can I distract my child at the hospital while we're waiting?

Assuming the illness or injury isn’t life threatening, try to bring something to keep your child diverted while you’re waiting, such as an mp3 player, handheld video games, crayons and paper, a deck of cards, or a book, favorite blankie, or cuddly toy. But if you left the house in a hurry, you may find yourself inventing some soothing stories or soft songs to comfort your child. If you have nothing -- nada -- ask the kindest-looking Emergency Department (ED) staffer for some unused tongue depressors and cotton balls that can become impromptu toys, or paper and pencil for drawing or tic-tac-toe.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Consider a Family Medicine Doctor For the Whole Family
Can you name the BBC’s whacky sci-fi show that’s been running off and on since 1963? Dr. Who is now a super-series. It focuses on a time-traveling, pe...
What should I do if I feel I'm being discharged from a hospital too soon?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
The length of time a patient is in the hospital has decreased significantly.  This is both to increa...
Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?