How should I talk about my chronic illness to a prospective employer?

Rosalind Joffe
Health Education
In talking to a prospective employer about your chronic illness, be as public as you need to be and as private as you want to be.

Keep it simple. Don't confuse people with jargon. Give them only as much information as they need to know.

Keep it clear. Know your facts, and deliver them to minimize confusion and maximize comfort.

Keep it unemotional. No one wants a sob story. A prospective employer wants assurance that this won't become his or her problem.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Give Your Doctor The News—Accurately
Give Your Doctor The News—Accurately
When Robert Palmer sings “Doctor, Doctor, give me the news,” you know he’s gonna get diagnosed with a bad case of the romantic blues. But most of the ...
How can I make sure I get proper care in the hospital?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
In the hospital, patients' charts can get mixed up, so talk to everyone who brings you a pill or...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?