How should I choose a hospital if my child is having surgery?

Here are some questions you should ask if your child is undergoing surgery:

What is your hospital’s volume and success rate for the particular procedure my child needs? So ask, “How many surgeries like my child’s do you do weekly, monthly, or annually, and how many of those are successful?” You must get this info; it’s vital. The more surgeries of the type your child needs that a hospital does, the more likely the outcome will be successful. (Practice does make perfect.) The hospital should readily tell you how often the procedure is done there, how often the surgeon does it, and how well the patients fare.

Is the surgeon a specialist in pediatric surgery? (Remember: Kids are different from adults!)

Do you have an on-staff pediatric anesthesiologist? This is a must. An anesthesiologist who isn’t a pediatric specialist shouldn’t be handling children’s surgeries.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

It’s Never Too Late To Take Control of Your Health
If you’ve ever given up on a New Year’s resolution, said ‘yes’ to junk food (again and again) or whispered to yourself...
Can my family stay with me in critical care?
Tiffany Arnold, RNTiffany Arnold, RN
Family member involvement is encouraged in critical care, but sometimes they'll be asked to leave th...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient