Is a doctor board certified in a specific field of medicine?

Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy
It is important to select a doctor who is board certified in the specialty they practice. Board certification does not assure you the doctor is excellent, but it does assure you he/she has had appropriate training by having completed at an approved residency of at least three years and passed an exam.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Meet Dr. Darria
Meet Dr. Darria
Name: Darria Long Gillespie, MD, MBA Specialty: Emergency Medicine Hospital: Emory University Favorite app: AskMD (of course!) When did you know y...
How can I make my child more comfortable in the hospital?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
Does your child have a favorite blanket, stuffed animal, or toy? Does she have a hat from her favori...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?