How can I determine if a doctor will see patients at night or on weekends?

Jennifer N. Caudle, DO
Family Medicine
To see if a doctor has evening or weekend hours, call the office to check availability; or check the practice website for more information. Watch family medicine specialist Jennifer Caudle, DO, explain the best ways to confirm open office hours. 
Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy
Most physicians will not see patients in their offices or at the patient’s home in the evening or on weekends. Some will, however, and there is a new practice model called Concierge Medicine in which physicians promise greater access for a fee. Typically, if a patient calls a physician after hours, that doctor, or a covering doctor, will respond, discuss symptoms and advise the patient to immediately go to the emergency department at a nearby hospital if it is a critical problem or come in to the doctor’s office the next day if the need is not urgent.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Why You Should Always Seek Second Opinions
Stand-up legend Rodney Dangerfield became famous for his quips about how he got no respect from anyone. “My psychiatrist told me I’m going crazy,” wen...
What types of services are available to patients at home?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
There are a number of services that are provided in the home depending on the care needs of the pers...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?