How should I choose the best hospital in which to have surgery?

Although choosing a fantastic surgeon is critical, the caliber of the hospital or facility where you have the surgery is an equally important factor for success. That's because surgery exposes you to far more risks than the surgeon can control. So when you need to choose a hospital in which to have surgery, be picky. Quality and cleanliness count in restaurants, but here, your life is on the line. Take these three tips to start your search.
  1. Choose a hospital that's been accredited by the Joint Commission. This ensures that the hospital has met various criteria. You can find Joint Commission-accredited hospitals at www.qualitycheck.org.
  2. Check out a large teaching hospital. For any surgery that touches your organs or replaces any body part (that's my definition of a serious surgery), opt for a big hospital (the bigger the procedure, the bigger the hospital) that, ideally, is affiliated with a university. Yes, size matters. Why? These hospitals have top-notch doctors and staffs on hand who are better equipped to deal with complications. Tip: I'd just avoid having surgery in teaching hospitals in the summer, when possible
  3. Check their numbers. You want proof that a hospital staff (not just the surgeon!) performs the specific surgery you need frequently enough to prove proficiency–and that they've had great results.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Tips for Navigating the ER
6 Tips for Navigating the ER
Whether you’ve been in an accident, gotten injured at the gym or simply have a pain you can’t explain, you never know when you’ll end up in the emerge...
How can I shorten my hospital stay?
Starchy sheets, way too much Jell-O, that dratted IV, a roommate who watches the weirdest TV -- ther...
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient