How should I choose the best hospital in which to have surgery?

Although choosing a fantastic surgeon is critical, the caliber of the hospital or facility where you have the surgery is an equally important factor for success. That's because surgery exposes you to far more risks than the surgeon can control. So when you need to choose a hospital in which to have surgery, be picky. Quality and cleanliness count in restaurants, but here, your life is on the line. Take these three tips to start your search.
  1. Choose a hospital that's been accredited by the Joint Commission. This ensures that the hospital has met various criteria. You can find Joint Commission-accredited hospitals at www.qualitycheck.org.
  2. Check out a large teaching hospital. For any surgery that touches your organs or replaces any body part (that's my definition of a serious surgery), opt for a big hospital (the bigger the procedure, the bigger the hospital) that, ideally, is affiliated with a university. Yes, size matters. Why? These hospitals have top-notch doctors and staffs on hand who are better equipped to deal with complications. Tip: I'd just avoid having surgery in teaching hospitals in the summer, when possible
  3. Check their numbers. You want proof that a hospital staff (not just the surgeon!) performs the specific surgery you need frequently enough to prove proficiency–and that they've had great results.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

It’s Never Too Late To Take Control of Your Health
If you’ve ever given up on a New Year’s resolution, said ‘yes’ to junk food (again and again) or whispered to yourself, “I can’t do it ,” this column...
How can I prepare my adolescent for a hospital stay?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
Starting around age ten, kids will have a lot of questions and fears about any medical treatment. An...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Dr. Peter Hulick - What Is Personalized Medicine?