How can I calm my nerves about an upcoming hospital stay?

As a patient advocate, I often prepare my clients and their families for hospital visits. The first suggestion I would make is if possible, do not go it alone. Meaning....if at all possible, have a family member or friend come with you as you head into the admissions department. And bring a notebook so you (or someone else) can write important things down.  Like names, diagnosies, questions, medications, etc.

Hospitals have many safeguards to help avoid errors, but it's always a good job for you, too, to double check.  If you're having surgery, mark your own area of your body to be operated on, if you're receiving medications from nurses, ask what is it that you're getting, who ordered it and why are you getting it.  Do not be shy.  Do not be afraid to speak up and ask questions. As with any physician interaction in an office, good communication is essential to a good hospital stay. 

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Consider a Family Medicine Doctor For the Whole Family
Can you name the BBC’s whacky sci-fi show that’s been running off and on since 1963? Dr. Who is now a super-series. It focuses on a time-traveling, pe...
How do I evaluate when to have treatment?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Surgery does not happen in a vacuum. There are many personal issues as well as medical ones that det...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient