What are some self-help strategies I can use to manage emotional trauma?

Primarily, caring for yourself to minimize your susceptibility to recurring emotional trauma involves trying, to the best of your ability, to avoid exposure to further stress that is likely to cause an emotional reaction. Also, though you may be inclined to withdraw from social situations, do not isolate. Isolation can make things worse. Ask for support from a trusted friend or family member. Establish or maintain a daily routine - having a structure can help you stay grounded after a trauma. Finally, don't forget to look after your health. A healthy body goes a long way in helping you cope with stress.

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

How can I overcome self-doubt?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
One method for overcoming self-doubt would be to remind yourself of past achievements, rather th...
How can I avoid the negative thoughts that cause me to overeat?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Negative self-talk creates low self-esteem and, despite everything we've achieved, thoughts like...
Eat These Foods to Boost Your Mood
Eat These Foods to Boost Your Mood
Is It Ever Okay to Go to Sleep Angry?
Is It Ever Okay to Go to Sleep Angry?