How can I stop negative thinking?

ANTs stands for automatic negative thoughts, the thoughts that come into your mind automatically and ruin your day. Whenever you feel sad, mad, nervous, obsessive or out of control, write down the thoughts that are going through your mind. The act of writing them down helps to get them out of your head. Identify the ANT species, then talk back to it Challenging negative thoughts takes away their power.

Here is an example: "I can't win because my doubles partner is so slow." I play tennis, so I'm very familiar with this ANT. This is a "blame" ANT. But instead of blaming my partner, I need to take responsibility for my own actions.

Here's a different way of looking at that same thought: "My doubles partner is slow, so I need to be ready to cover more of the court and to be more aggressive going for balls that are down the middle." With this kind of attitude, you just might win. Why give up before you have even tried?

With a little practice, you can become an expert at talking back to your ANTs. It is amazing how helpful this simple technique can be and how it can improve not only your performance but nearly every aspect of your life.

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

Be Less Furious: 7 Smart Tips to a Calmer You
Whether you’re irritated by inconveniences or fly into a fury at the slightest provocation, we can all benefit from learning to cope effectively with ...
What happens if I can’t forgive somebody?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
I would begin by honestly asking yourself the question, “Is it that I cannot let go of my feelings o...
How should I deal with my emotions if I am an adult who is being bullied?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
If you are being bullied as an adult, become clear on what you are really feeling: fear, shame, ...
Eat These Foods to Boost Your Mood
Eat These Foods to Boost Your Mood