How do negative thoughts lead to anxiety?

Friedemann Schaub
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
We're not often consciously aware of the sequence of negative thoughts that lead to anxiety. The resulting feeling itself is what makes us pay attention. But how did we get there? The descent can start with a “what if”, or an “I should have”, both mere assumptions, either about something that has not yet happened or something that we can’t change because it has already happened. Yet this does not stop us from entertaining these thoughts. These thoughts are often judgmental or critical in nature. We doubt ourselves and wonder what other people may think about us. And very quickly, thoughts pop up that seem to confirm the previous ones, adding to the raising feeling of gloom and uncertainty. The problem is that these thoughts seem to only partially enter our conscious awareness. They can be so quick and fleeting that we don’t really “catch” them. The initial idea is often immediately trailed by another thought, which confirms or exacerbates the first one -- and so on.

Negative self-talk is not a conscious, intellectual choice. It stems from the subconscious mind. Imagine that a part of your subconscious mind is merely repeating old “tapes” of negative messages you heard many years ago. Maybe when you were a child, being worried and hyper-vigilant may have served you by helping you to feel more safe. Maybe you had to make sure that you were not getting in trouble with your parents or it felt much safer for you to be invisible. The reason why a "younger" part of your mind is continuously playing these old themes and holding on to these patterns is because that part has never been properly encouraged and reassured. By either ignoring these now rather non-supportive messages or buying into them through anxiety and worry, this subconscious part will just continue what it has been doing for a long time.
The Fear and Anxiety Solution: A Breakthrough Process for Healing and Empowerment with Your Subconscious Mind

The Fear and Anxiety Solution is the 2012 Independent Publisher Award Gold Medal Winner and the USA Best-Book Award Winner in the category best new-self-help book.You're late to a meeting and caught...

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

What are some negative thoughts caused by overeating?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
When we have overindulged, the Critic (the ego's judgmental voice) berates us with harsh judgmen...
How do I get past uncomfortable feelings?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
When we try to avoid a feeling either because it is uncomfortable, because we think we should not fe...
Holding a Grudge
Holding a Grudge
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What can I do about my fear of driving over bridges?