How can I handle my negative thoughts?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Here is a cognitive behavioral therapy technique that Byron Katie, Dr. Amen and others use to help you decide whether or not to believe negative thoughts:
  1. Is the thought true?
  2. Can I absolutely know that it’s true?
  3. How do I react when I believe that thought?
  4. Who would I be without that thought? Or how would I feel if I didn’t have the thought?
Once you have answered the questions, turn the original negative thought around to its opposite positive acclamation. For example, “I’ll never be able to change” becomes “I will be able to change.” Then ask yourself the same questions. You’ll find that this exercise results in seeing your negative thoughts differently so that you can take affirmative body action.

This is an example of cognitive behavior therapy or CBT, a very broad classification of psychotherapies, which accents the role of thinking in determining what we do and feel.

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

Be Less Furious: 7 Smart Tips to a Calmer You
Whether you’re irritated by inconveniences or fly into a fury at the slightest provocation, we can all benefit from learning to cope effectively with ...
How do I stop negative self talk?
To stop negative self talk you must first become aware of it. Once you are aware of it, then you...
What steps should I take to deal with feelings of shame?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Try the following exercise to help you deal with feelings of shame: Think of the last time you fel...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What can I do about my fear of driving over bridges?