How can I cope with guilt after the death of a loved one?

These exercises may help you ease feelings of guilt following a death:
  • Write a letter. Express your feelings to the person who died. Read it aloud in a favorite spot or perhaps in a place where you can feel his or her presence. Keep the letter with you so you can read it or add to it whenever you like. This may be especially helpful if you didn't get to say goodbye.
  • Consider good and bad. Write down the good things about the relationship or experiences you are glad to have shared. Then note what worked poorly in the relationship or things you wish you hadn't shared. Accept that people, including you, are imperfect. You can't always give or get love in the way you might wish to do so.
  • Talk to a friend. Try to find a good listener who won't attempt to tell you what you should be feeling. Discussing your true feelings with an empathetic friend can help lighten the burden of guilt and may reveal other perspectives that you are overlooking.

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

Be Less Furious: 7 Smart Tips to a Calmer You
Whether you’re irritated by inconveniences or fly into a fury at the slightest provocation, we can all benefit from learning to cope effectively with ...
How can I manage negative thoughts when changing my health behaviors?
Sheri D. PruittSheri D. Pruitt
When changing health habits, you can be sailing along and then -- all of a sudden -- it happens....
Are negative emotions gentle, short-lived waves?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Noted psychologist Gay Hendricks, Ph.D., believes that “all negative emotions are gentle, short-live...
Is It Ever Okay to Go to Sleep Angry?
Is It Ever Okay to Go to Sleep Angry?