How can I avoid becoming frail as I age?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Keeping yourself fit and healthy throughout your life is the best way to avoid being frail when you get older. A Columbia University research team found that three or more bodily systems functioning at abnormal levels was a predictor of which people would be frail in older age. They looked at such factors as anemia, inflammation, and fine motor speed. By itself, fine motor speed also predicted frailty, the study found. If people live long enough, it's likely they will become increasingly frail. But "it can be delayed," researchers say.

Much of it is rooted in unhealthy habits picked up in early and middle age -- "especially a lack of physical exercise, smoking and poor nutrition," according to the researchers.

How we take care of ourselves today will determine how we prosper (or not) in our older age. Take care of yourself and you will be better able to care for others and avoid frailty and worse later in life.

Continue Learning about Managing Changes Due To Aging

Why have my elderly parents become stubborn and uncooperative?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Sometimes, behaviors WE may consider "stubborn and uncooperative" would be described by our elders a...
How can I help my aging parent stay warmer?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Some strategies to help your aging parent stay warmer include keeping the thermostat between 68 ...
What are some tips for healthy aging?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
The key to successful aging is a healthy, common sense lifestyle. The goals are to slow or prevent t...
How Important Are My Genes In the Aging Process?