How can my attitude affect my aging process?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine

The MacArthur study suggests that those who posses a “self-efficacy” quality will also age better because they have a more optimistic outlook on overall aging process (Williams & Kemper, 2010).  

Kelly Traver

A key to healthy aging is attitude. Optimists age better than pessimists. That's a fact. Also, it is important to remain socially connected and involved in at least one activity that lets you feel vital and purposeful. We are social animals; we need to be part of a social network. Studies show that once a person stops feeling that he has a purposeful role in the world outside of himself, he starts to decline. Love, social connection, and laughing all enhance the immune cells and help keep the inflammatory process in check. Studies also show that even if elderly people are fairly isolated socially, if they have a pet (or even plants), their immune system is enhanced and their life span is increased! Sexual arousal also enhances your immune system, so it's not just fun but healthy to keep up your sex life as you age.

Continue Learning about Managing Changes Due To Aging

Why have my elderly parents become stubborn and uncooperative?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Sometimes our elders appear to become stubborn and uncooperative as they age. Frustration due to...
Why is muscle weakness dangerous to older people?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
It is widely held that we inevitably begin sliding down a very slippery slope along which increasing...
How can I avoid becoming frail as I age?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Keeping yourself fit and healthy throughout your life is the best way to avoid being frail when you ...
How Important Are My Genes In the Aging Process?