How can I help my aging parent stay warmer?

Shelley Webb
Nursing

Some strategies to help your aging parent stay warmer include keeping the thermostat between 68 and 70 degrees. It will be an additional expense, but a necessary one. Low income seniors might be able to receive help with their heating bills. Also, space heaters are a good way to heat a small space, such as a bedroom or den, but be very careful that the heater has enough safety features so as not to place your loved one in a dangerous situation. Advise your aging parent to optimize clothing choices for warmth during the day by dressing in layers of loose-fitting, lightweight garments. This helps to keep warm air between each layer.

Layer additional blankets on the bed at night to keep warmth between layers. Also, when going outdoors, aging adults should wear mittens instead of gloves because they allow space for warm air and for the fingers to touch each other, thereby generating warmth. Eating enough food to keep their weight up is also important in keeping heat inside the body. Warms foods like oatmeal and soups are comforting and nutritious.

Continue Learning about Managing Changes Due To Aging

What can I do to attain an optimal aging?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
The concept of Optimal Aging is a fairly new idea that has recently emerged in the medical community...
When do people stop growing and start aging?
Everyone generally ages at a similar rate until they reach their late twenties or mid-thirties. ...
Why do I ache more as I age?
Maintaining lean muscle mass through exercise will help alleviate aching joints. To learn more about...
How Important Are My Genes In the Aging Process?