What is a fine needle aspiration?

Doctors may perform a fine-needle aspiration to diagnose malignant mesothelioma. A type of biopsy, fine-needle aspirations involve inserting a small needle into the chest or stomach to take a sample of fluid or tissue. Doctors test the sample for evidence of cancer.

Elwyn C. Cabebe, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Fine needle aspiration is a procedure where a thin needle is placed in a mass or lump to collect a sample. In this video, oncologist Elwyn Cabebe, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital explains how pathologists use this method to check for cancer.

Continue Learning about Malignant Mesothelioma

What is localized and advanced malignant mesothelioma?
Localized malignant mesothelioma refers to the earliest stage of the disease in which only a very sm...
How can I lower my risk of mesothelioma?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There is no guaranteed way to prevent mesothelioma or pleural disease. However, there are steps peop...
Who is a candidate for surgery for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM)?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is somewhat controversial, and the optimal surg...
How long does someone with malignant mesothelioma usually live?
Curing malignant mesothelioma may not be possible because the disease is often found in its later st...