What is varicocele in the testes?

When you get too much blood flow through the vessels in the groin area, the spermatic veins can swell up so that they feel like a bag of worms; that’s called a varicocele. If you have a varicocele on both sides of the testes (or even one side), your sperm may overheat, which gets them swimming in the wrong directions; if that’s the case, there is a medical way to fix the problem, called varicocele repair. See your doctor.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Testes

How can I protect my testicles from injury?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
As every guy knows, the penis and testicles are not very well protected from the vagaries of life. I...
Is it normal for one testicle to be bigger than the other one?
Asymmetry of certain organs can be normal. However, in some cases, this can be a warning sign f...
What is a hydrocele?
A hydrocele is a fluid-filled sac around a testicle. Hydroceles are often first noticed as swelling ...
Is It Normal for One Testicle to Be Bigger Than the Other One?