What can my penis tell me about my overall health?

Mark Moyad
Urology

Watch as men's health and urology expert Dr. Mark Moyad discusses what your penis can tell you about your overall health.

From a broad perspective, the penis is a man's dipstick; it tells you how everything is functioning throughout the rest of your body.

If the solider stands at attention when called to do so, it indicates that you have good blood flow in other places. But if he decides to take a little R&R, it means that a man's arterial health is not as youthful as it needs to be.

That's because the chemical mechanisms that work to get blood in and out of the penis are the same ones that help blood flow to and from the brain, heart, and kidneys. No matter the location of veins and arteries in your body, it's the same blood-flow process.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Male Reproductive System

The Sperm Work Out
The Sperm Work Out
Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782) fathered 69 children with one wife, who gave birth to 16 twins, seven triplets and four sets of quadruplets. That’s the l...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic bacterial prostatitis symptoms?
If you have symptoms that could be caused by chronic bacterial prostatitis, you should talk to y...
What are the testes?
The testes, aka balls, aka beans, live in the scrotum, aka ball sack. These are the organs of re...
Watermelon Juice: A Smart Sipper for Sexual Performance