How can a man maximize his fertility?

These tips will help a man keep his swimmers healthy and strong:

DO:
  1. Eat your fruits and veggies, grains, beans, soy, nuts, oats, foods with flavanols (like broccoli, radishes, onions, tomatoes, and leeks), as well as other foods high in polyphenols (think bright colored fruits and veggies), vitamins C and E, zinc, selenium, and omega-3s (fatty fish, soy products, whole grains, nuts, and flaxseeds)
  2. Wear boxers, not briefs. For optimum fertility, sperm prefer a temperature slightly lower than the rest of your body.
  3. Avoid exposure to organic solvents, heavy metals, synthetic polymers, pesticides, PCBs, and ionizing radiation
  4. Keep well hydrated while working out
  5. Get a physical and discuss your personal and family medical history, including birth defects, sexually transmitted diseases, difficulty or pain with erection, ejaculation, or urination, and any medications you may be taking that could affect your fertility (antihypertensives, diuretics, antidepressants, antiseizure medication, antihistamines, antibiotics, chemotherapy, immunosuppressive drugs).

DON'T:
  1. Smoke
  2. Drink excessively (more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day)
  3. Use recreational drugs
  4. Take steroids
  5. Eat fatty cuts of beef, dark-meat turkey, or fish containing mercury
  6. Use oil-based paints, spray paints, or paint thinners
  7. Keep your laptop on your lap
  8. Lounge in the hot tub, steam room, or sauna (it can raise the temperature of sperm and kill them)
  9. Spend a lot of time wearing an athletic cup or jock strap
  10. Cycle if you experience numbness or tingling in the genital area or sexual dysfunction
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Male Reproductive System

The Sperm Work Out
The Sperm Work Out
Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782) fathered 69 children with one wife, who gave birth to 16 twins, seven triplets and four sets of quadruplets. That’s the l...
How can I improve the shape of my sperm for increased fertility?
When it comes to a man’s fertility, sperm count isn’t the only thing that counts. How the little...
What is inside the male testes?
The source of sperm and testosterone - the testes - are filled with tubules that look like cooked sp...
Watermelon Juice: A Smart Sipper for Sexual Performance