How is gynecomastia treated?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Gynecomastia can be defined as excessive breast and glandular tissue in a male. Treament options depend on the severity of the diagnosis. The Tanner classification is used by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in staging the degree of gynecomastia. For mild cases liposuction alone may be used. For more severe cases that include thick glandular tissue behind the nipple areolar complex, a combination of liposuction and partial subcutaneous mastectomy should be perfomed through a periareolar approach.
Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Male breast growth is technically called gynecomastia. If the male breasts remain large for two years, the condition is likely to be permanent and may require surgery. After surgery, the men's social lives improve, and for the first time they will take off their shirts at the beach.

A medical evaluation will rule out diseases that cause breast growth. An internist, pediatrician, or endocrinologist should evaluate any male patient with recent breast growth. If a cause is found, appropriate medical therapy can be used. If no cause is found, then surgery may be the answer.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...
Homayoun Sasson, MD
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Treatment options for gynecomastia vary and must be tailored according to the cause of the gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is caused by multiple various factors, such as obesity or hormonal changes and/or imbalances. In the case of obesity, weight loss and exercise are encouraged and usually treatment of choice. Hormonal imbalances may be easily reversed by hormone replacements or adjustments. In cases of advanced or otherwise irreversible gynecomastia, especially when no other treatments is effective, surgical treatment, including one or a combination of liposuction, breast tissue and excess skin removal or standard breast reduction may be of paramount importance and procedure of choice. This often results in significant body as well as psychosocial improvements.

Continue Learning about Male Reproductive System Disorders

Is there a cure for male genital problems?
There may be cures for many male genital problems, depending on their causes. Problems that are caus...
What should I ask the urologist if I have a swollen testicle?
Your urologist will ask you about signs of infection, such as fever, vomiting and pain. He will also...
How is urethritis diagnosed?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
To diagnose urethritis, your healthcare provider will examine you and ask about your symptoms and he...
How can I help my partner with delayed ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Talking about trouble reaching climax isn’t as difficult as discussing other sexual issues. Say ...