Who is most at risk of death from malaria during an epidemic?

Individuals at highest risk of death from malaria reside in areas in which malaria is endemic. In addition, individuals with no immunity such as travelers and young children, and pregnant women whose immunity is lowered, are at higher risk. Individuals who are infected with the Plasmodium falciparum species of malaria are at higher risk. Individuals with few financial and medical resources and little knowledge of the disease are at much greater risk of fatal malaria.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Can I donate blood if I have malaria?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria before you are eligible to donate blood...
How is malaria diagnosed?
Malaria can be difficult to diagnose in places like the United States, where the disease is not comm...
What Are the Possibilities of a Malaria Vaccine?
What Type of Diseases Does Your Lab Focus On?