What are the treatment options for malaria?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The majority of the time, physicians can successfully treat malaria with prescription medications. The type of medicine prescribed and the length of time you must take it for depends on several things, including

• your medical history
  • what kind of malaria parasite you've been infected with
  • how sick you are
  • how old you are
  • what country you were in when you were infected.

Medications are usually given orally or intravenously. However, suppositories may be used as well. In milder cases of malaria, people tend to begin feeling better a day or two after treatment has begun.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Is malaria contagious?
You can catch malaria, but it is not like catching a virus. It is caused by a parasite and is most o...
Can I donate blood if I have malaria?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria before you are eligible to donate blood...
Why Can't We Develop Just One Drug to Combat Malaria?
What Can Your Genomic Technology Do If a SARS- or Avian Flu-like Illness Emerged Today?