Is there a cure for malaria?

Currently, there is no vaccine for malaria. However, the disease has been virtually eliminated from the world's temperate zones and is very uncommon in industrialized nations. People traveling to tropical and subtropical countries where malaria remains rampant are generally advised to bring mosquito netting, DEET insect repellant, and follow preventive anti-malaria medication protocols before, during, and after their trip. Malaria can be cured if diagnosed early and treated. However, many people who live in areas where malaria is common get repeat infections and may not fully recover between episodes of illness.

Continue Learning about Malaria

What is malaria?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Malaria is caused by four species of Plasmodium microbes which are common to two species: mosquitoes...
Can I donate blood if I have malaria?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria before you are eligible to donate blood...
What Type of Diseases Does Your Lab Focus On?
Why Can't We Develop Just One Drug to Combat Malaria?