Is there a cure for malaria?

Currently, there is no vaccine for malaria. However, the disease has been virtually eliminated from the world's temperate zones and is very uncommon in industrialized nations. People traveling to tropical and subtropical countries where malaria remains rampant are generally advised to bring mosquito netting, DEET insect repellant, and follow preventive anti-malaria medication protocols before, during, and after their trip. Malaria can be cured if diagnosed early and treated. However, many people who live in areas where malaria is common get repeat infections and may not fully recover between episodes of illness.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Can I develop malaria as an adult?
Yes, adults can get malaria if they are bitten by a mosquito infected with the disease. In addit...
Can I donate blood if I have traveled to an area where malaria is found?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 12 months from your departure from a country where malaria is found. Guidelines on el...
Stopping Malaria
Stopping Malaria
What Is the State of Malaria Research?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?