How do medications treat malaria?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Anti-malaria medications are used both as a way to prevent malaria and as a way to treat it once a person has been infected. There are several different types of medicines given to a person with malaria, depending on what strain of parasite has infected them. All work to kill the parasite in the red blood cells. A medication called primaquine in particular combats dormant malaria parasites in a person's liver. Preventive medicines should be taken for a period of time beginning from before a person travels to an endemic area, extending through their travels, and then continued for a particular amount of days following their trip; the length of time varies depending on the medication.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Should I talk to my doctor about malaria?
If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms and have traveled to sub-Saharan Africa or another locatio...
What causes a malaria pandemic to occur?
A malaria pandemic can occur in endemic regions for a variety of reasons. A significant influx of un...
Who is most at risk of malaria?
Malaria has been all but eradicated in most industrialized countries, including the United States. H...
Stopping Malaria
Stopping Malaria