How common is malaria?

Although malaria has virtually disappeared from most of the developed countries, it is still one of the leading infectious causes of death worldwide. An estimated 216 million cases of malaria were reported around the globe in 2010, and 655,000 people died from the disease that year. About 91% of those deaths occured in Africa, with young children representing the majority of malaria deaths worldwide. About 1,500 cases of malaria are reported in the United States each year. Generally, these cases occur in people who have recently come from areas where the disease is endemic.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Is malaria contagious?
You can catch malaria, but it is not like catching a virus. It is caused by a parasite and is most o...
Can I donate blood if I have traveled to an area where malaria is found?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 12 months from your departure from a country where malaria is found. Guidelines on el...
Why Can't We Develop Just One Drug to Combat Malaria?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?