Does malaria affect children differently than adults?

Children and infants, as well as pregnant women and their unborn children, are at particular risk for contracting malaria. Most deaths from malaria occur in children under the age of five that live in African nations. This is partially because young children have not lived long enough to develop immunity against the disease. However, adults who do not live in areas where the disease is prevalent are also at risk of contracting severe malaria if they travel to areas where it is endemic. A variety of anti-malaria drugs are used to treat malaria in both children and adults, but some specific drugs may not be safe for children to take.

Continue Learning about Malaria

How do other illnesses affect malaria?
Certain blood-related disorders can greatly affect a person's response to malaria. Some disorder...
Should I talk to my doctor about malaria?
If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms and have traveled to sub-Saharan Africa or another locatio...
Why Do We Still Rely on Bed Nets to Wipe Out Malaria in Developing Countries?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?