Can I donate blood if I have malaria?

• You may be able to donate blood after having malaria if you have completed treatment and have been symptom free for least three years. People who are unsure if they have malaria and have returned from a country that is known for malaria typically need to wait 12 months prior to donating. People who have lived for five or more years in a region known for malaria must wait at least three years before donating.
  • You must wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria before you are eligible to donate blood.
    Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How should I choose which anti-malaria medication to take?