What is electrolysis?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Electrolysis uses electric current to fry the hair follicles. It is painful and tedious, with weekly treatments that sometimes stretch on for years. The effectiveness is only as good as the electrologist. There are competent electrologists and there are those who go through the motions, plucking the hairs at the end of the treatment. Electrology cannot treat ingrown hairs, and it can result in dreadful scarring if not performed correctly. I believe that this technique will be relegated to the removal of blond and white hairs, since laser hair removal is so much more efficient on darker hairs.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...
Electrolysis is a hair removal system that works by inserting a thin needle into the skin, targeting hair follicles. During galvanic electrolysis, direct-current electricity flows through the needle directly into the hair follicle. In thermolytic electrolysis, or thermolysis, heat, which is produced via high-frequency alternating current, handles the task. The two methods can also be used in tandem.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

How can I maintain healthy hair?
Here’s our three-step process for maintaining healthy hair: Step 1: Shampoo -- Before getting in...
What can a doctor do to treat unwanted hair?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
First a doctor will rule out any medical condition that may be causing hormonal hair growth. The gro...
What Can I Do About My Dry, Brittle Hair?
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What to Eat for Healthier Hair