What is electrolysis?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Electrolysis uses electric current to fry the hair follicles. It is painful and tedious, with weekly treatments that sometimes stretch on for years. The effectiveness is only as good as the electrologist. There are competent electrologists and there are those who go through the motions, plucking the hairs at the end of the treatment. Electrology cannot treat ingrown hairs, and it can result in dreadful scarring if not performed correctly. I believe that this technique will be relegated to the removal of blond and white hairs, since laser hair removal is so much more efficient on darker hairs.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

is hair replacement surgery for me ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Hair replacement surgery can improve appearances and boost self-confidence. Still, the results won't...
how do medications treat hair disorders ?
Minoxidil is applied directly to the scalp for hair loss in that area. Finasteride, an oral drug, wh...
what can i do to improve the health of my hair ?
There are a number of relatively simple things that one can do to improve the health of one's hair. ...
how can i prevent doing more damage to my dry hair ?
If you are concerned about doing more damage to your dry hair, you can take steps to reduce those ri...