What information should I tell my doctor if I have dry hair?

If you are visiting your physician to discuss your dry hair, you should be prepared to provide information on your hair care routine and other symptoms. Be sure to tell your doctor which shampoo, conditioner, and other styling products you use regularly. Tell your doctor if you have noticed a change in the dryness of your hair and, if so, when you first noticed that change. You should also mention any other symptoms you are also experiencing, even if you aren't sure they are connected.

If you have exceptionally dry hair, talk to your dermatologist or other doctor about your hair and your daily hair care routine. He or she may want to know how often you shampoo and condition you hair and with what products, how often you use a blow dryer and other heated styling tools, and what hair treatments you've had. If you're treating your hair well and you still have very dry hair, it's possible that an underlying condition is to blame. 

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

What foods can help strengthen hair?
Dr. Candy Lewis Williams, NDDr. Candy Lewis Williams, ND
Foods that can help strengthen hair should contain proteins, fats and carbohydrates, which all combi...
How much does hair replacement surgery cost?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Costs for hair transplant surgery can vary from $4,000 for a mild case of hair loss to over $20,000 ...
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
What Can I Do About My Dry, Brittle Hair?